Polyunsaturated fatty acids lower serum triglycerides by a mechanism that may involve the inhibition of stearoyl-CoA desaturase (SCD).
We sought to evaluate the effects of serum fatty acids on 1) the SCD index in a controlled clinical setting, and 2) SCD regulation in Hep G2 cells.
The SCD index was determined in 23 subjects randomly sequenced through 3 diets for 6 weeks in a crossover study. Diets were variably enriched with n-3 and n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids; notably, monounsaturated fatty acids were held constant. Effects of linoleic acid (LA), α-linolenic acid (ALA), and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) on mRNA levels of SCD, fatty acid elongases 5 and 6 (Elovl5 and Elovl6), fatty acid synthase, carnitine palmitoyltransferase-1, and sterol response element binding protein-1c were investigated in Hep G2 cells after 24-hour incubations.
The SCD indexes C18:1/18:0 and C16:1/C16:0 were significantly (P < .0001) correlated with serum TG with R2 values of 0.71 and 0.58. The correlation was negatively associated with LA and positively associated with ALA. LA and EPA decreased SCD mRNA (EC50 of 0.50 and 1.67 μM), whereas ALA did not. Likewise, LA and EPA decreased sterol response element binding protein-1c mRNA (EC50 of 0.78 and 1.78 μM), but ALA did not. Similar results were observed for Elovl6. GW9662, a peroxisome proliferation activator receptor antagonist, did not obviate the effects of LA and EPA on SCD mRNA.
Diets enriched in LA, ALA, and by metabolic inference EPA, can regulate SCD activity at the level of transcription, a nutritional intervention that may be useful in the management of increased levels of serum triglycerides in cardiometabolic disorders.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Lipidology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Evidence that triglycerides are an independent coronary heart disease risk factor.Am J Cardiol. 2000; 86: 943-949
- Fasting compared with nonfasting triglycerides and risk of cardiovascular events in women.JAMA. 2007; 298: 309-316
- Third report of the national cholesterol education program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (Adult Treatment Panel lll) final report.Circulation. 2002; 106: 3142-3421
- Overproduction of very low-density lipoproteins is the hallmark of the dyslipidemia in the metabolic syndrome.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2008; 28: 1225-1236
- Regulation of stearoyl-CoA desaturase by polyunsaturated fatty acids and cholesterol.J Lipid Res. 1999; 40: 1549-1558
- Structure, function and dietary regulation of Δ6, Δ5, and Δ9 desaturases.Annu Rev Nutr. 2004; 24: 345-376
- Colocalization of SCD1 and DGAT2: implying preference for endogenous monounsaturated fatty acids in triglyceride synthesis.J Lipid Res. 2006; 47: 1928-1939
- A lipogenic diet in mice with a disruption of the stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 gene reveals a stringent requirement of endogenous monounsaturated fatty acids for triglyceride synthesis.J Lipid Res. 2001; 42: 1018-1024
- Role of stearoyl-coenzyme A desaturase in lipid metabolism.Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2003; 68: 113-150
- Stearoyl-CoA desaturase deficiency, hypercholesterolemia, cholestatsis, and diabetes.Nutr Rev. 2007; 65: S35-S38
- Compartmentalization of stearoyl-CoA desaturase enzyme-1 activity in HepG2 cells.J Lipid Res. 2008; 49: 2124-2134
- Relationship between stearoyl-CoA desaturase activity and plasma triglycerides in human and mouse hypertriglyceridemia.J Lipid Res. 2002; 43: 1899-1907
- Triglyceride levels are ethnic-specifically associated with an index of stearoyl-CoA desaturase activity and n-3 PUFA levels in Asians.J Lipid Res. 2004; 45: 914-922
- Association of stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 activity with familial combined hyperlipidemia.Arterioscler Thrombo Vasc Biol. 2008; 28: 1193-1199
- Mechanism of rat liver microsomal stearoyl-CoA desaturase. Studies of the substrate specificity, enzyme-substrate interactions and the function of lipid.J Biol Chem. 1976; 251: 5095-5103
- Identification of mouse palmitoyl-coenzyme A Δ9-desaturase.J Lipid Res. 2006; 47: 700-704
- Serum fatty acid composition and indices of stearoyl-CoA desaturase activity are associated with systemic inflammation: longitudinal analysis in middle-aged men.Br J Nutr. 2008; 99: 1186-1189
- Relationship between serum fatty acid composition and multiple markers of inflammation and endothelial function in an elderly population.Atherosclerosis. 2009; 203: 298-303
- Improvements in glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity after lifestyle intervention are related to changes in serum fatty acid profiles and desaturase activities: the SLIM study.Diabetologia. 2006; 49: 2392-2401
- Fatty acid composition of serum lipids predicts the development of the metabolic syndrome in men.Diabetologia. 2005; 48: 1999-2005
- Plasma palmitoleic acid, a product of stearoyl-coA desaturase activity, is an independent marker of triglyceridemia and abdominal adiposity.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2008; 18: 436-440
- Stearoyl-CoA desaturase as a new drug target for obesity treatment.Obes Rev. 2005; 6: 169-174
- Prevention of obesity in mice by antisense oligonucleotide inhibitors of stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1.J Clin Invest. 2005; 115: 1030-1038
- Effects of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids on estimated desaturase activities during a controlled dietary intervention.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2008; 18: 683-690
- A macadamia nut-rich diet reduces total and LDL-cholesterol in mildly hypercholesterolemic men and women.J Nutr. 2008; 138: 761-767
- Dietary alpha-linolenic acid reduces inflammatory and lipid cardiovascular risk factors in hypercholesterolemic men and women.J Nutr. 2004; 134: 2991-2997
- Dietary α-linolenic acid inhibits proinflammatory cytokine production by peripheral blood mononuclear cells in hypercholesteroloemic subjects.Am J Clin Nutr. 2007; 85: 385-391
- α-Linolenic acid supplementation and conversion to n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in humans.Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2009; 80: 85-91
- Stearoyl-coenzyme A desaturase 1, sterol regulatory element binding protein-1c and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-α: independent and interactive roles in the regulation of lipid metabolism.Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2006; 9: 84-88
- Crucial role of a long-chain fatty acid elongase, Elov16, in obesity-induced insulin resistance.Nat Med. 2007; 13: 1193-1202
- The omega-3 index: a new risk factor for death from coronary heart disease?.Prev Med. 2004; 39: 212-220
- Markers of dietary fat quality and fatty acid desaturation as predictors of total and cardiovascular mortality: a population–based prospective study.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 88: 203-209
- Effects of EPA on coronary artery disease in hypercholesterolemic patients with multiple risk factors: Sub-analysis of primary prevention cases from the Japan EPA Lipid Intervention Study (JELIS).Atherosclerosis. 2008; 200: 135-140
- Towards establishing dietary reference intakes for eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids.J Nutr. 2009; 139: 804S-819S
- Differences between dietary supplement and prescription drug omega-3 fatty acid formulations: a legislative and regulatory perspective.J Am Coll Nutr. 2008; 27: 659-666
Published online: June 22, 2009
Accepted: June 12, 2009
Received: February 11, 2009
This work has been published in abstract form as part of the 7th International Symposium on Multiple Risk Factors in Cardiovascular Diseases held in Venice, Italy on October 22-25, 2008.
© 2009 National Lipid Association. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.