- ►We examined how rapid surgical weight loss affects HDL functionality.
- ►Weight loss is accompanied by significant alterations in HDL structure and function.
- ►The apoA-I/apoE ratio of HDL may serve as surrogate marker of HDL functionality.
- ►The apoA-I/apoCIII ratio of HDL may serve as surrogate marker of HDL functionality.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- High density lipoprotein as a protective factor against coronary heart disease. The Framingham Study.Am J Med. 1977; 62: 707-714
- High-density lipoprotein cholesterol and cardiovascular disease. Four prospective American studies.Circulation. 1989; 79: 8-15
- The Tromso heart-study. High-density lipoprotein and coronary heart-disease: a prospective case-control study.Lancet. 1977; 1: 965-968
- High density lipoprotein cholesterol and mortality. The Framingham Heart Study.Arteriosclerosis. 1988; 8: 737-741
- HDL particle functionality as a primary pharmacological target for HDL-based therapies.Biochem Pharmacol. 2013; 85: 1575-1578
- Plasma HDL cholesterol and risk of myocardial infarction: a mendelian randomisation study.Lancet. 2012; 380: 572-580
- HDL biogenesis and functions: Role of HDL quality and quantity in atherosclerosis.Atherosclerosis. 2010; 208: 3-9
- Apolipoproteins as the basis for heterogeneity in high-density lipoprotein2 and high-density lipoprotein3. Studies by isoelectric focusing on agarose films.Eur J Biochem. 1984; 143: 467-476
- Distribution of ApoA-I-containing HDL subpopulations in patients with coronary heart disease.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2000; 20: 2670-2676
- Pathway of biogenesis of apolipoprotein E-containing HDL in vivo with the participation of ABCA1 and LCAT.Biochem J. 2007; 403: 359-367
- ABCA1 promotes the de novo biogenesis of apolipoprotein CIII-containing HDL particles in vivo and modulates the severity of apolipoprotein CIII-induced hypertriglyceridemia.Biochemistry. 2008; 47: 10491-10502
- Obesity and cardiovascular disease: pathophysiology, evaluation, and effect of weight loss: an update of the 1997 American Heart Association Scientific Statement on Obesity and Heart Disease from the Obesity Committee of the Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism.Circulation. 2006; 113: 898-918
- Prognostic importance of weight loss in patients with coronary heart disease regardless of initial body mass index.Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. 2008; 15: 336-340
- Lifestyle, diabetes, and cardiovascular risk factors 10 years after bariatric surgery.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 2683-2693
- Surgical treatment of obesity.Eur J Endocrinol. 2008; 158: 135-145
- Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2004; 292: 1724-1737
- Biliopancreatic diversion: mechanisms of action and long-term results.Obes Surg. 2006; 16: 683-689
- Resolution of diabetes mellitus and metabolic syndrome following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and a variant of biliopancreatic diversion in patients with morbid obesity.Obes Surg. 2007; 17: 176-184
- Specific effects of biliopancreatic diversion on the major components of metabolic syndrome: a long-term follow-up study.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 2406-2411
- Changes in predicted cardiovascular disease risk after biliopancreatic diversion surgery in severely obese patients.Metabolism. 2013;
- Biliopancreatic diversion with Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and long limbs: advances in surgical treatment for super-obesity.Obes Surg. 2011; 21: 1849-1858
- A biochemical fluorometric method for assessing the oxidative properties of HDL.J Lipid Res. 2011; 52: 2341-2351
- Thermodynamic and structural destabilization of apoE3 by hereditary mutations associated with the development of lipoprotein glomerulopathy.J Lipid Res. 2013; 54: 164-176
- Qualitative characteristics of HDL in young patients of an acute myocardial infarction.Atherosclerosis. 2012; 220: 257-264
- High-density lipoprotein subpopulations in pathologic conditions.Am J Cardiol. 2003; 91: 12E-17E
- Micellar complexes of human apolipoprotein A-I with phosphatidylcholines and cholesterol prepared from cholate-lipid dispersions.J Biol Chem. 1982; 257: 4535-4540
- Point mutations in apolipoprotein a-I mimic the phenotype observed in patients with classical lecithin:cholesterol acyltransferase deficiency.Biochemistry. 2005; 44: 14353-14366
- Long-term mortality after gastric bypass surgery.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 753-761
- Lipids, lipoproteins, and apolipoproteins as risk markers of myocardial infarction in 52 countries (the INTERHEART study): a case-control study.Lancet. 2008; 372: 224-233
- Apolipoprotein A-I versus HDL cholesterol in the prediction of risk for myocardial infarction and stroke.Curr Opin Cardiol. 2007; 22: 359-367
- The joint effects of apolipoprotein B, apolipoprotein A1, LDL cholesterol, and HDL cholesterol on risk: 3510 cases of acute myocardial infarction and 9805 controls.Eur Heart J. 2009; 30: 2137-2146
- HDL quality in atherosclerosis: can the ratios between apolipoproteins of HDL be used effectively to indicate risk of premature myocardial infarction?.Clin Lipidol. 2012; 7: 127-129
- Prospective evaluation of biliopancreatic diversion with Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in the super obese.J Gastrointest Surg. 2004; 8: 479-488
- Lecithin:cholesterol acyltransferase modulates diet-induced hepatic deposition of triglycerides in mice.J Nutr Biochem. 2012; 24: 567-577
- Apolipoprotein A-I modulates processes associated with diet-induced nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in mice.Mol Med. 2012; 18: 901-912
- Plasma lipid transfer enzymes in non-diabetic lean and obese men and women.Lipids. 2009; 44: 459-464
- The effect of the apolipoprotein E phenotype on cholesteryl ester transfer protein activity, plasma lipids and apolipoprotein A I levels in hypercholesterolaemic patients on colestipol and lovastatin treatment.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 1999; 54: 903-910
- Apolipoprotein A-I stimulates cholesteryl ester transfer protein and apolipoprotein E secretion from lipid-loaded macrophages; the role of NF-kappaB and PKA signaling pathways.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011; 415: 497-502
- Role of ApoCs in lipoprotein metabolism: functional differences between ApoC1, ApoC2, and ApoC3.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1999; 19: 472-484
- Apolipoprotein CI is a physiological regulator of cholesteryl ester transfer protein activity in human plasma but not in rabbit plasma.J Lipid Res. 2009; 50: 1842-1851
- Improvement in cardiovascular indices after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass or sleeve gastrectomy for morbid obesity.Obes Surg. 2013; 23: 31-38
- Bariatric surgery and cardiovascular outcomes: a systematic review.Heart. 2012; 98: 1763-1777
- Impaired HDL function in obese adolescents: impact of lifestyle intervention and bariatric surgery.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013; 21: E687-E695
- Untrained young men have dysfunctional HDL compared with strength-trained men irrespective of body weight status.J Appl Physiol (1985). 2013; 115: 1043-1049
E.Z. and G.S. contributed equally to this work.
Conflict of interest: The authors have no conflict of interest to disclose.