- 1.We investigated dyslipidemia in the top-ranked hospitals with relatively sufficient medical resources in China.
- 2.The prevalence of dyslipidemia is high and the awareness, treatment, and control of dyslipidemia are relatively low in Chinese T2DM patients
- 3.The situation of comprehensive management in T2DM is beyond optimism in China.
The aim of this study was to assess the levels of serum lipid and awareness, treatment, and control of dyslipidemia in type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) patients from top-ranked endocrinology clinics in large cities of China.
Materials and Methods
A cross-sectional study in a representative sample of 4807 Chinese adults 40 to 75 years of age was conducted during 2010 to 2011 at 20 endocrinology clinics in top-ranked hospitals covering most of the major cities of China. Serum lipid levels were measured, and treatment of dyslipidemia was recorded and assessed.
In the present study, the prevalence of dyslipidemia was 67.1% in T2DM subjects. Among those with dyslipidemia, the proportion of awareness and treatment was 68.7% and 55.9%. Among participants with lipid-lowering therapy, 686 subjects achieved the low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) control less than 2.60 mmol/L, with the rate being 39.4%. In those patients with previous cardiovascular disease, the percentage of participants who achieved LDL-C goal (1.80 mmol/L) was 15.3%.
The prevalence of dyslipidemia is high, and the awareness, treatment, and control of dyslipidemia are relatively low in Chinese T2DM patients. This calls for the awareness and intervention of dyslipidemia in these patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Lipidology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Clinical review 124: diabetic dyslipidemia: causes and consequences.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001; 86: 965-971
- The role of adipose tissue and lipotoxicity in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes.Curr Diab Rep. 2010; 86: 306-315
- Insulin resistance, lipotoxicity, type 2 diabetes and atherosclerosis: the missing links. The Claude Bernard Lecture 2009.Diabetologia. 2010; 53: 1270-1287
- Prevalence of cardiovascular disease and risk factors in the Chinese population with impaired glucose regulation: the 2007-2008 China national diabetes and metabolic disorders study.Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2013; 121: 372-374
- Primary prevention of coronary heart disease: guidance from Framingham: a statement for healthcare professionals from the AHA Task Force on Risk Reduction. American Heart Association.Circulation. 1998; 97: 1876-1887
- Standards of medical care in diabetes–2014.Diabetes Care. 2014; 37: S14-S80
- 5-year incidence of atherosclerotic vascular disease in relation to general risk factors, insulin level, and abnormalities in lipoprotein composition in noninsulin dependent diabetic and non-diabetic subjects.Circulation. 1990; 82: 27-36
- Regional differences of glycaemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus in Switzerland: a national cross-sectional survey.Swiss Med Wkly. 2011; 141: w13218
- Serum total and lipoprotein cholesterol levels and awareness, treatment, and Control of Hypercholesterolemia in China.Circulation. 2004; 110: 405-411
- Serum lipids and lipoproteins in Chinese men and women.Circulation. 2012; 125: 2212-2221
- Prevalence and control of diabetes in Chinese adults.JAMA. 2013; 310: 948-959
- Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Part 1: diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus provisional report of a WHO consultation.Diabet Med. 1998; 15: 539-553
- An epidemiological study of cardiovascular and cardiopulmonary disease risk factors in four populations in the People's Republic of China: baseline report from the P.R.C.-U.S.A. Collaborative Study.Circulation. 1992; 85: 1083-1096
- Serum cholesterol changes from 1983–1984 to 1993–1994 in the People's Republic of China.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2002; 12: 118-126
- Wong L.D. The 2002 China National Nutrition and Health Survey (1): General Report. People Health Publishing House, Beijing, China2005
- ESC/EAS Guidelines for the management of dyslipidaemias.Eur Heart J. 2011; 32: 1769-1818
- Management of Chinese patients with type 2 diabetes, 1998-2006: the Diabcare-China surveys.Curr Med Res Opin. 2009; 25: 39-45
- Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with atorvastatin in type 2 diabetes in the Collaborative Atorvastatin Diabetes Study (CARDS): multicentre randomized placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2004; 364: 685-696
- Effects of cholesterol lowering with simvastatin on stroke and other major vascular events in 20536 people with cerebrovascular disease or other high-risk conditions.Lancet. 2004; 363: 757-767
- Mechanisms of diabetic dyslipidemia: relevance for atherogenesis.Curr Vasc Pharmacol. 2012; 10: 684-686
- Assessment of hypercholesterolemia control in a managed care organization.Pharmacotherapy. 2001; 21: 818-827
- Why don't diabetes patients achieve recommended risk factor targets? Poor adherence versus lack of treatment intensification.J Gen Intern Med. 2008; 23: 588-594
- Relationship between patient medication adherence and subsequent clinical inertia in type 2 diabetes glycemic management.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 807-812
- Physicians' perceptions of barriers to cardiovascular disease risk factor control among patients with diabetes: results from the translating research into action for diabetes: TRIAD study.J Am Board Fam Med. 2010; 23: 171-178
- Epidemiological study on obesity and its comorbidities in urban Chinese older than 20 years of age in Shanghai, China.Obes Rev. 2002; 3: 157-165
- Prevalence and associated factors of dyslipidemia in the adult Chinese population.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e17326
- Association between glycaemic control and serum lipids profile in type 2 diabetic patients: HbA1c predicts dyslipidaemia.Clin Exp Med. 2007; 7: 24-29
Published online: October 22, 2015
Accepted: October 15, 2015
Received: March 29, 2015
L.Ya. and M.T.X. contributed equally to this work.
Clinical trial registration number: ChiCTR-ECS-11001376.
© 2016 National Lipid Association. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.