- •We compared the effects of canola and rice bran oil consumption on lipid profile.
- •Both oils improved cholesterol, triglyceride, LDL and non HDL-cholesterol levels.
- •Rice bran oil was more potent than canola oil in some extent.
- •None of the oils had any beneficial effects on HDL-cholesterol.
- IDF diabetes atlas- fifth edition. International Diabetes Federation, 2011 (Available at:)
- Elevated high sensivity C protein in association with type ІІ diabetes mellitus. The Persian Gulf healthy heart study.Endocr J. 2008; 55: 717-722
- Increased fat absorption and impaired fat clearance cause postprandial hypertriglyceridemia in spontaneously diabetic torii rat.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2007; 78: 8-15
- Comparison of diets high in monounsaturated versus polyunsaturated fatty acid on postprandial lipoproteins in diabetes.Ir J Med Sci. 2005; 174: 8-20
- Differential effects of saturated and monounsaturated fats on postprandial lipemia and glucagons-like peptide1 response in patients with type 2 diabetes.Am J Clin Nutr. 2003; 77: 605-611
- Diabetes and decline inheart disease mortality in US adults.JAMA. 1999; 281: 1291-1297
- Palm and partially hydrogenated soybean oils a adversely alter lipoprotein profiles subjects.Am J Clin Nutr. 2006; 84: 54-62
- Rice bran oil and γ-oryzanol in the treatment of hyperlipoproteinaemias and other conditions.Phytother Res. 2001; 15: 277-289
- Rice bran oil consumption and plasma lipid levels in moderately hypercholesterolemic humans.Arterioscler Thromb. 1994; 14: 549-556
- Dietary fat and cholesterol and the risk of cardiovascular disease among women with type 2 diabetes.Am J Clin Nutr. 2004; 79: 999-1005
- Benefits of foods supplemented with vegetable oils rich in alpha-linolenic, stearidonic or docosahexaenoic acid in hypertriglyceridemic subjects: a double-blind, randomized, controlled trail.Eur J Nutr. 2015; 54: 881-893
- Omega-3 fatty acids and cardiovascular disease: new developments and applications.Postgrad Med. 2013; 125: 100-113
- Comparison of the effect of canola oil and sunflower oil on plasma lipids and lipoproteins and on in vivo thromboxane A2 and prostacyclin production in healthy young men.Am J Clin Nutr. 1989; 50: 1382-1388
- Intake: energy.in: Mahan L.K. Escott-Stump S. Raymond J.L. Krause's food & the nutrition care process. 13th ed. Elsevier Saunders, St. Louis2012: 27
- Nutrition in weight management.in: Mahan L.K. Escott-Stump S. Raymond J.L. Krause's food & the nutrition care process. 13th ed. Elsevier Saunders, St. Louis2012: 477
- Rice bran oil and cholesterol metabolism.J Nutr. 1997; 127: 521S-524S
- A rice bran oil diet improves lipid abnormalities and suppresses hyperinsulinemic responses in rats with Streptozotocin/Nicotinamide-induced type 2 diabetes.J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2009; 45: 29
- Hypolipidemic and antioxidant properties of tocotrienol rich fraction isolated from rice bran oil in experimentally induced hyperlipidaemia rats.Food Chem Toxicol. 2005; 43: 747-753
- Dietary canola oil alters hematological indices and blood lipids in neonatal piglets fed formula.J Nutr. 1999; 129: 1261-1268
- Use of rice bran oil in patients with hyperlipidaemia.Natl Med J India. 2005; 18: 292
- Consumption of a plant sterol-based spread derived from rice bran oil is effective at reducing plasma lipid levels in mildly hypercholesterolemic individuals.Br J Nutr. 2011; 105: 1808-1818
- Comparative cholesterol-lowering properties of vegetable oils: beyond fatty acids.J Am Coll Nutr. 2000; 19: 601-607
- Replacing dairy fat with rapeseed oil causes rapid improvement of hyperlipidaemia: a randomized controlled study.J Intern Med. 2011; 270: 356-364
- Effect of rice bran oil on the blood lipids profiles and insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes patient.J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2011; 51: 15-18
- A rice bran oil diet increases LDL-receptor and HMG-CoA reductase mRNA expressions and insulin sensitivity in rats with Streptozotocin/Nicotinamide-Induced Type 2 Diabetes.J Nutr. 2006; 136: 1472-1776
- Similar cholesterol–lowering properties of rice bran oil, with varied γ-oryzanol, in mildly hypercholesterolemic men.Eur J Nutr. 2005; 44: 163-173
- SREBP-1 mediates activation of the low density lipoprotein receptor promoter by insulin and insulin-like growth factor-1.J Biol Chem. 1996; 217: 7128-7133
- Dietary fatty acids in the management of diabetes mellitus.Am J Clin Nutr. 1997; 66: 991-997
- Linoleic–acid–enriched diet: long-term effects on serum lipoprotein and apolipoprotein concentrations and insulin sensivity in non-insulin–dependent diabetic patients.Am J Clin Nutr. 1989; 49: 448-456
- Hypocholesterolemic activity of unsaponifiable matter of rice bran oil.Indian J Med Res. 1987; 85: 178-281
- Evaluation of non-HDL-c and total cholesterol: HDL-c ratio as cumulative marker of cardiovascular risk in diabetes mellitus.Kathmandu Univ Med J (KUMJ). 2010; 8: 398-404
- Levels of non-high density lipoprotein cholesterol (non-HDL-C) in patients with ischemic heart disease.J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2003; 15: 33-34
Clinical trial number: IRCT2014050417568N1.