- •Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol lowering was greater in the evening dose of short and long half-life statins.
- •Total cholesterol lowering was greater in the evening dose of short half-life statins only.
- •Morning dose was equivalent to evening dose in terms of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglyceride.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global Overview of the Epidemiology of Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease.Arch Med Res. 2015; 46: 328-338
- Statins in the treatment of dyslipidemia in the presence of elevated liver aminotransferase levels: a therapeutic dilemma.Mayo Clin Proc. 2010; 85: 349-356
- The Relationship of Reduction in Incidence of Coronary Heart Disease to Cholesterol Lowering.JAMA. 1984; 251: 365-374
- Reduction in Incidence of Coronary Heart Disease.JAMA. 1984; 251: 351-364
- Lowering Blood Cholesterol to Prevent Heart Disease.JAMA. 1985; 253: 2080
- Serum cholesterol, lipoproteins, and the risk of coronary heart disease. The Framingham study.Ann Intern Med. 1971; 74: 1-12
- Lipoprotein changes and reduction in the incidence of major coronary heart disease events in the Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study (4S).Circulation. 1998; 97: 1453-1460
- Large scale cohort study of the relationship between serum cholesterol concentration and coronary events with low-dose simvastatin therapy in japanese patients with hypercholesterolemia and coronary heart disease.Circ J. 2002; 66: 1096-1100
- The effect of pravastatin on coronary events after myocardial infarction in patients with average cholesterol levels.N Engl J Med. 1996; 335: 1001-1009
- Randomised trial of cholesterol lowering in 4444 patients with coronary heart disease: the Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study (4S).Lancet. 1994; 344: 1383-1389
- European Guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice (version 2012).Atherosclerosis. 2012; 223: 1-68
- The influence of statin characteristics on their safety and tolerability.Int J Clin Pract. 2004; 58: 945-955
- Statins for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease.in: Huffman M.D. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester, UK2013: CD004816
- The effect of intensified low density lipoprotein cholesterol reduction on recurrent myocardial infarction and cardiovascular mortality.Acta Cardiol Sin. 2013; 29: 404-412
- Cost-effectiveness and population impact of statins for primary prevention in adults aged 75 years or older in the United States.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 162: 533-541
- Meta-analysis of large randomized controlled trials to evaluate the impact of statins on cardiovascular outcomes.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2004; 57: 640-651
- Reduction of cardiovascular events by simvastatin in nondiabetic coronary heart disease patients with and without the metabolic syndrome: subgroup analyses of the Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study (4S).Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 1735-1740
- Efficacy and safety of simvastatin in Asian and non-Asian coronary heart disease patients: a comparison of the GOALLS and STATT studies.Curr Med Res Opin. 2004; 20: 1235-1243
- Prevention of coronary heart disease with pravastatin in men with hypercholesterolemia.N Engl J Med. 1995; 333: 1301-1308
- Prevention of cardiovascular events and death with pravastatin in patients with coronary heart disease and a broad range of initial cholesterol levels.N Engl J Med. 1998; 339: 1349-1357
- Efficacy and safety of more intensive lowering of LDL cholesterol: a meta-analysis of data from 170,000 participants in 26 randomised trials.Lancet. 2010; 376: 1670-1681
- Executive Summary of the Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III).JAMA. 2001; 285: 2486-2497
- Mevalonic acid in human plasma: relationship of concentration and circadian rhythm to cholesterol synthesis rates in man.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1982; 79: 3037-3041
- Plasma mevalonate as a measure of cholesterol synthesis in man.J Clin Invest. 1984; 74: 795-804
- Evidence for diurnal periodicity in human cholesterol synthesis.J Lipid Res. 1990; 31: 667-673
- Medication nonadherence: an unrecognized cardiovascular risk factor.MedGenMed. 2007; 9: 58
- Medication adherence among geriatric outpatients prescribed multiple medications.Am J Geriatr Pharmacother. 2012; 10: 61-68
- Patient perspectives on multiple medications versus combined pills: a qualitative study.QJM. 2005; 98: 885-893
- The safety of HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors in special populations at high cardiovascular risk.Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2003; 17: 265-285
- Factors associated with low compliance with lipid-lowering drugs in hyperlipidemic patients.J Clin Pharm Ther. 2000; 25: 445-451
- Pattern of timing adherence could guide recommendations for personalized intake schedules.J Pers Med. 2012; 2: 267-276
- Thinking outside the pillbox — medication adherence as a priority for health care reform.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 1553-1555
- Adherence to statin therapy and LDL cholesterol goal attainment by patients with diabetes and dyslipidemia.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 595-599
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.BMJ. 2009; 339: b2535
- Empirical Assessment of Within-Arm Correlation Imputation in Trials of Continuous Outcomes.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (Rockville, MD, US), 2012
- Variance imputation for overviews of clinical trials with continuous response.J Clin Epidemiol. 1992; 45: 769-773
- Methods Guide for Effectiveness and Comparative Effectiveness Reviews. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (Rockville, MD, US), 2008
- Estimating the mean and variance from the median, range, and the size of a sample.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2005; 5: 13
- Standard deviations and standard errors.BMJ. 2005; 331: 903
- Chemical, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic properties of statins: an update.Fundam Clin Pharmacol. 2005; 19: 117-125
- Pharmacokinetic comparison of controlled-release and immediate-release oral formulations of simvastatin in healthy Korean subjects: a randomized, open-label, parallel-group, single- and multiple-dose study.Clin Ther. 2010; 32: 206-216
- Steady-state pharmacokinetics of fluvastatin in healthy subjects following a new extended release fluvastatin tablet, Lescol XL.Biopharm Drug Dispos. 2004; 25: 51-59
Wells G, Shea B, Peterson J, Welch V, Losos M. The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for assessing the quality of nonrandomised studies in meta-analyses. medicine.mcgill.ca.
- Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test.BMJ. 1997; 315: 629-634
- Efficacy and safety of pravastatin in patients with primary hypercholesterolemia. II. Once-daily versus twice-daily dosing.Atherosclerosis. 1990; 85: 219-227
- Efficacy and safety of morning versus evening dose of controlled-release simvastatin tablets in patients with hyperlipidemia: a randomized, double-blind, multicenter phase III trial.Clin Ther. 2013; 35: 1350-1360.e1
- Actual versus prescribed timing of lovastatin doses assessed by electronic compliance monitoring.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 1993; 45: 211-215
- Pharmacodynamic effects and pharmacokinetics of a new HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor, rosuvastatin, after morning or evening administration in healthy volunteers.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2002; 54: 472-477
- Effects of morning versus evening intake of atorvastatin on major cardiac event and restenosis rates in patients undergoing first elective percutaneous coronary intervention.Am J Cardiol. 2006; 97: 44-47
- Comparison between morning and evening doses of simvastatin in hyperlipidemic subjects. A double-blind comparative study.Arterioscler Thromb. 1991; 11: 816-826
- Efficacy and safety of fluvastatin-extended release in hypercholesterolemic patients: morning administration is equivalent to evening administration.Cardiology. 2006; 106: 241-248
- Taking simvastatin in the morning compared with in the evening: randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2003; 327: 788
- Comparison of the efficacy and safety profile of morning administration of controlled-release simvastatin versus evening administration of immediate-release simvastatin in chronic kidney disease patients with dyslipidemia.Clin Ther. 2014; 36: 1182-1190
- Comparative efficacy of once versus twice daily mevinolin in the therapy of familial hypercholesterolemia.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1986; 40: 338-343
- Effects of morning versus evening administration of atorvastatin in patients with hyperlipidemia.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2005; 62: 2491-2494
Mevacor Tablets Label - FDA. Available at: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2012/019643s085lbl.pdf. Accessed March 18, 2017.
ZOCOR (simvastatin) Tablets - FDA. Available at: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2012/019766s085lbl.pdf. Accessed March 18, 2017.
Lescol Label - FDA. Available at: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2012/021192s019lbl.pdf. Accessed March 18, 2017.
- Optimal low-density lipoprotein cholesterol lowering–morning versus evening statin administration.Ann Pharmacother. 2007; 41: 106-110
Lipitor - FDA. Available at: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2009/020702s057lbl.pdf. Accessed March 18, 2017.
Crestor (rosuvastatin calcium) tablets - FDA. Available at: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2010/021366s016lbl.pdf. Accessed March 18, 2017.
Pravachol Label - FDA. Available at: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2012/019898s062lbl.pdf. Accessed March 18, 2017.
- Chronokinetics of Pravastatin Administered in the PM Compared with AM Dosing.Am J Ther. 1995; 2: 265-268
- Adherence to statin treatment: an important issue in clinical practice.Curr Med Res Opin. 2016; 32: 1639-1640
- Statin non-adherence and residual cardiovascular risk: There is need for substantial improvement.Int J Cardiol. 2016; 225: 184-196
- Statin intolerance - an attempt at a unified definition. Position paper from an International Lipid Expert Panel.Arch Med Sci. 2015; 11: 1-23
- Nonutilization of Statins in a Community-based Population with a History of Coronary Revascularization.Clin Ther. 2016; 38: 288-296.e2
- Predictors of statin adherence, switching, and discontinuation in the USAGE survey: understanding the use of statins in America and gaps in patient education.J Clin Lipidol. 2013; 7: 472-483
- Gender and racial disparities in adherence to statin therapy: a meta-analysis.Am Heart J. 2013; 165 (678.e1): 665-678
- How to increase level of patients’ awareness regarding the importance of statins despite the influence of the media?.Int J Cardiol. 2016; 207: 164
- Impact of Statin Adherence on Cardiovascular Morbidity and All-Cause Mortality in the Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: A Population-Based Cohort Study in Finland.Value Health. 2015; 18: 896-905
- Cost-effectiveness of enhancing adherence to therapy with statins in the setting of primary cardiovascular prevention. Evidence from an empirical approach based on administrative databases.Atherosclerosis. 2011; 217: 479-485
- Continuation of statin therapy and primary prevention of nonfatal cardiovascular events.Am J Cardiol. 2012; 110: 1779-1786
- Continuation of statin treatment and all-cause mortality: a population-based cohort study.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 260-268
- Results of a retrospective database analysis of adherence to statin therapy and risk of nonfatal ischemic heart disease in daily clinical practice in Italy.Clin Ther. 2010; 32: 300-310
- Impact of better adherence to statin agents in the primary prevention of coronary artery disease.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2009; 65: 1013-1024
- Adherence to statins in primary prevention: yearly adherence changes and outcomes.J Manag Care Pharm. 2014; 20: 51-57
- The use of self-measured blood pressure determinations in assessing dynamics of drug compliance in a study with amlodipine once a day, morning versus evening.J Hypertens. 1993; 11: 1403-1411
- Adherence to prescribed antihypertensive drug treatments: longitudinal study of electronically compiled dosing histories.BMJ. 2008; 336: 1114-1117
- The influence of dosing time, variable compliance and circadian low-density lipoprotein production on the effect of simvastatin: simulations from a pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic model.Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2011; 109: 494-498
- Predictors of adherence with antihypertensive and lipid-lowering therapy.Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 1147-1152
- Effects of a fixed-dose combination strategy on adherence and risk factors in patients with or at high risk of CVD.JAMA. 2013; 310: 918-929
- Comparison of a morning polypill, evening polypill and individual pills on LDL-cholesterol, ambulatory blood pressure and adherence in high-risk patients; a randomized crossover trial.Int J Cardiol. 2015; 181: 193-199
- Use of an indirect effect model to describe the LDL cholesterol-lowering effect by statins in hypercholesterolaemic patients.Fundam Clin Pharmacol. 2006; 20: 321-330
- Combined lipid lowering drug therapy for the effective treatment of hypercholesterolaemia.Eur Heart J. 2003; 24: 685-689
Funding: This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.