- •FH patients had nominal cardiac event reduction with PCSK9 inhibition.
- •Among FH patients, PCSK9 inhibition resulted in a hazard ratio of 0.83.
- •The effects were greater in magnitude for patients with LDL-C > 160 mg/dL (HR 0.74).
- •Risk reduction was greater in FH patients with stronger LDL-C response (HR 0.68)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The agenda for familial hypercholesterolemia: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2015; 132: 2167-2192
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia is underdiagnosed and undertreated in the general population: guidance for clinicians to prevent coronary heart disease: consensus statement of the European Atherosclerosis Society.Eur Heart J. 2013; 34: 3478-3490a
- LDL cholesterol: controversies and future therapeutic directions.Lancet. 2014; 384: 607-617
- Prevalence of familial hypercholesterolemia in the 1999 to 2012 United States National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys (NHANES).Circulation. 2016; 133: 1067-1072
- Cholesterol evaluation in young adults: absence of clinical trial evidence is not a reason to delay screening.Ann Intern Med. 2017; 166: 901-902
- Two years after molecular diagnosis of familial hypercholesterolemia: majority on cholesterol-lowering treatment but a minority reaches treatment goal.PLoS One. 2010; 5: e9220
- The biology and therapeutic targeting of the proprotein convertases.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2012; 11: 367-383
- Effect of a monoclonal antibody to PCSK9, REGN727/SAR236553, to reduce low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in patients with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia on stable statin dose with or without ezetimibe therapy: a phase 2 randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2012; 380: 29-36
- Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol-lowering effects of AMG 145, a monoclonal antibody to proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 9 serine protease in patients with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia: the Reduction of LDL-C with PCSK9 Inhibition in Heterozygous Familial Hypercholesterolemia Disorder (RUTHERFORD) randomized trial.Circulation. 2012; 126: 2408-2417
- Effect of the proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin 9 monoclonal antibody, AMG 145, in homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia.Circulation. 2013; 128: 2113-2120
- PCSK9 inhibition with evolocumab (AMG 145) in heterozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia (RUTHERFORD-2): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2015; 385: 331-340
- Inhibition of PCSK9 with evolocumab in homozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia (TESLA Part B): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2015; 385: 341-350
- ODYSSEY FH I and FH II: 78 week results with alirocumab treatment in 735 patients with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia.Eur Heart J. 2015; 36: 2996-3003
- Long-term treatment with evolocumab added to conventional drug therapy, with or without apheresis, in patients with homozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia: an interim subset analysis of the open-label TAUSSIG study.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2017; 5: 280-290
- Efficacy and safety of the proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 9 monoclonal antibody alirocumab vs placebo in patients with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia.J Clin Lipidol. 2017; 11: 195-203
- Evolocumab and clinical outcomes in patients with cardiovascular disease.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 1713-1722
- Cardiovascular efficacy and safety of bococizumab in high-risk patients.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 1527-1539
- Lipid-reduction variability and antidrug-antibody formation with bococizumab.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 1517-1526
- Severe heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia and risk for cardiovascular disease: a study of a cohort of 14,000 mutation carriers.Atherosclerosis. 2014; 233: 219-233
- Statins in familial hypercholesterolemia consequences for coronary artery disease and all-cause mortality.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 68: 252-260
- Prevalence and significance of cardiovascular risk factors in a large cohort of patients with familial hypercholesterolaemia.J Intern Med. 2003; 253: 161-168
- Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol lowering for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease among men with primary elevations of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels of 190 mg/dL or above: analyses from the WOSCOPS (West of Scotland Coronary Prevention Study) 5-Year Randomized Trial and 20-Year Observational Follow-Up.Circulation. 2017; 136: 1878-1891
- Diagnostic yield and clinical utility of sequencing familial hypercholesterolemia genes in patients with severe hypercholesterolemia.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 67: 2578-2589
- Association between low-density lipoprotein cholesterol-lowering genetic variants and risk of type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis.JAMA. 2016; 316: 1383-1391
- Interpretation of the evidence for the efficacy and safety of statin therapy.Lancet. 2016; 388: 2532-2561
Trial Registration clinicaltrials.gov: NCT01968954, NCT01968967, NCT02100514, NCT01968980, NCT01975376, NCT01975389.