- •In the USA, there is interest in genetic testing when offered for free and online.
- •In those diagnosed with FH by a lipidologist, about 58% had a positive test.
- •Uptake of cascade screening by a family in those with a positive test was minimal.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Clinical genetic testing for familial hypercholesterolemia: JACC scientific expert panel.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 72: 662-680
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia is underdiagnosed and undertreated in the general population: guidance for clinicians to prevent coronary heart disease: consensus statement of the European Atherosclerosis Society.Eur Heart J. 2013; 34: 3478-3490
- Cost effectiveness of cascade testing for familial hypercholesterolaemia services in the UK.Eur Heart J. 2017; 38: 1832-1839
- Cascade screening based on genetic testing is cost- effective: evidence for the implementation of models of care for familial hypercholesterolaemia.J Clin Lipidol. 2014; 8: 390-400
- A cost-effectiveness analysis of the genetic screening program for Familial Hypercholesterolemia in the Netherlands.Semin Vasc Med. 2004; 4: 97-104
- US physician practices for diagnosing familial hypercholesterolemia: data from the CASCADE-FH registry.J Clin Lipidol. 2016; 10: 1223-1229
- Barriers and facilitators to genetic testing for familial hypercholesterolemia in the United States.J Pers Med. 2019; 1: E32
- Multi-gene panel testing of 23,179 individuals for hereditary cancer risk identifies pathogenic variant carriers missed by current genetic testing guidelines.J Mol Diagn. 2019; 21: 646-657
- ClinVar.(Available at:)https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/clinvar/variation/VCV000226303.2Date accessed: October 16, 2019
- Risk communication in families of children with familial hypercholesterolemia: identifying motivators and barriers to cascade screening to improve diagnosis at a single medical center.J Pers Med. 2019; 9https://doi.org/10.3390/jpm9030032
- The agenda for familial hypercholesterolemia a scientific statement from the American heart association.Circulation. 2015; 132: 2167-2192
- High lipoprotein(a) as a possible cause of clinical familial hypercholesterolaemia: a prospective cohort study.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2016; 4: 577-587
- Polygenic hypercholesterolemia and cardiovascular disease risk.Curr Cardiol Rep. 2019; 21: 43
- The complex genetics of familial hypercholesterolaemia.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2019; 16: 9-20
- Analysis of the frequency and spectrum of mutations recognised to cause familial hypercholesterolaemia in routine clinical practice in a UK specialist hospital lipid clinic.Atherosclerosis. 2013; 229: 161-168
- Clinical experience of scoring criteria for Familial Hypercholesterolaemia (FH) genetic testing in Wales.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 240: 190-196
- Child-parent familial hypercholesterolemia screening in primary care.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1628-1637
- Effectiveness of genetic cascade screening for familial hypercholesterolaemia using a centrally coordinated clinical service: An Australian experience.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 239: 93-100
- Results and lessons of a pilot study of cascade screening for familial hypercholesterolemia in us primary care practices.J Gen Intern Med. 2019; 35: 351-353
- Two years after molecular diagnosis of familial hypercholesterolemia: majority on cholesterol-lowering treatment but a minority reaches treatment goal.PLoS One. 2010; 5: e9220
Funding: This study was funded by a grant from the COLOR Foundation to the FH Foundation and additional FH Foundation funds.
Conflict of interest: S.G., A.M.S., K.W., and C.D.A. are employees/officers of the FH Foundation, a 501c3 advocacy and research organization dedicated to improving care for those with familial hypercholesterolemia. C.L.N., H.E.W., S.L., and A.Y.Z. have equity interest and are employed by Color Genomics. I.K. has no conflict of interest to report.