- •Poststatin initiation lipid monitoring increased after the 2018 guideline.
- •One in 6 patients received monitoring in accordance with guideline recommendations.
- •A total of 56% of patients with lipid monitoring warranted therapy intensification.
- •One in 20 patients had a change in therapy when clinically warranted.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with atorvastatin in type 2 diabetes in the Collaborative Atorvastatin Diabetes Study (CARDS): multicentre randomized placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2004; 364: 685-696
- Intensive lipid lowering with atorvastatin in patients with stable coronary disease.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 1425-1435
- Rosuvastatin to prevent vascular events in men and women with elevated C-reactive protein.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 2195-2207
- Cholesterol lowering in intermediate-risk persons without cardiovascular disease.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 2021-2031
- Efficacy of cholesterol-lowering therapy in 18,686 people with diabetes in 14 randomized trials of statins: a meta-analysis.Lancet. 2008; 371: 117-125
- Efficacy and safety of more intensive lowering of LDL cholesterol: a meta-analysis of data from 170,000 participants in 26 randomized trials.Lancet. 2010; 376: 1670-1681
- The effects of lowering LDL cholesterol with statin therapy in people at low risk of vascular disease: meta-analysis of individual data from 27 randomized trials.Lancet. 2012; 380: 581-590
- 2013 ACC/AHA guideline on the treatment of blood cholesterol to reduce atherosclerotic cardiovascular risk in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines [published correction appears in J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63(25 Pt B):3024-3025] [published correction appears in J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015 Dec 22;66(24):2812].J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 63: 2889-2934
- 2018 AHA/ACC/AACVPR/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/ADA/AGS/APhA/ASPC/NLA/PCNA Guideline on the Management of Blood Cholesterol: Executive Summary: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines [published correction appears in Circulation. 2019 Jun 18;139(25):e1178-e1181].Circulation. 2019; 139: e1046-e1081
- A pragmatic cluster randomized trial evaluating three implementation interventions.Implement Sci. 2012; 7: 80
- What's the evidence that NICE guidance has been implemented? Results from a national evaluation using time series analysis, audit of patients' notes, and interviews.BMJ. 2004; 329: 999
- Successes and failures in the implementation of evidence-based guidelines for clinical practice.Med Care. 2001; 39: II46-II54
- Clinical inertia.Ann Intern Med. 2001; 135: 825-834
- Patient-reported reasons for declining or discontinuing statin therapy: insights from the PALM registry.J Am Heart Assoc. 2019; 8: e011765
- Persistence of use of lipid-lowering medications: a cross-national study.JAMA. 1998; 279: 1458-1462
- Interpretation of the evidence for the efficacy and safety of statin therapy [published correction appears in Lancet. 2017 Feb 11;389(10069):602].Lancet. 2016; 388: 2532-2561
- Trends in prescription drug use among adults in the United States from 1999-2012.JAMA. 2015; 314: 1818-1831
- Vital signs: prevalence of key cardiovascular disease risk factors for million hearts 2022 - United States, 2011-2016.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018; 67: 983-991
- Treatment and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol management in patients diagnosed with clinical atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease in Alberta.Can J Cardiol. 2019; 35: 884-891
- Sub-optimal cholesterol response to initiation of statins and future risk of cardiovascular disease.Heart. 2019; 105: 975-981
- Cost-effectiveness of statin therapy for primary prevention in a low-cost statin era.Circulation. 2011; 124: 146-153
- Cost-effectiveness of 10-year risk thresholds for initiation of statin therapy for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease [published correction appears in JAMA. 2015 Oct 20;314(15):1647].JAMA. 2015; 314: 142-150
- Cost-effectiveness of intensifying lipid-lowering therapy with statins based on individual absolute benefit in coronary artery disease patients.J Am Heart Assoc. 2017; 6: e004648
- Evaluating the impact and cost-effectiveness of statin use guidelines for primary prevention of coronary heart disease and stroke.Circulation. 2017; 136: 1087-1098
- Ezetimibe added to statin therapy after acute coronary syndromes.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 2387-2397
- Alirocumab and cardiovascular outcomes after acute coronary syndrome.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 2097-2107
- Evolocumab and clinical outcomes in patients with cardiovascular disease.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 1713-1722
- Can LDL cholesterol be too low? Possible risks of extremely low levels.J Intern Med. 2017; 281: 534-553
- Efficacy and safety of further lowering of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in patients starting with very low levels: a meta-analysis.JAMA Cardiol. 2018; 3: 823-828
- 2019 ESC/EAS guidelines for the management of dyslipidaemias: lipid modification to reduce cardiovascular risk.Eur Heart J. 2020; 41: 111-188
- Comparison of transatlantic approaches to lipid management: The AHA/ACC/multisociety guidelines vs the ESC/EAS guidelines.Mayo Clin Proc. 2020; 95: 998-1014
- Barriers and strategies in guideline implementation-a scoping review.Healthcare (Basel). 2016; 4: 36
- 2015 ACC health policy statement on cardiovascular team-based care and the role of advanced practice providers.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015; 65: 2118-2136
At the time this project was conducted, Dr. Tunoa was a PGY2 Pharmacy Resident at the University of Colorado.
This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Declarations of interest: None.
Authors' contribution: All 4 authors declare that they have materially participated in the research and article preparation. Specifically, all authors participated in the study design, interpretation of results, and creation of the manuscript. All authors have approved the final version of this manuscript.