- •Familial hypobetalipoproteinemia is caused by monoallelic variants in APOB.
- •Metabolic Associated Fatty Liver Disease is the main associated comorbidity.
- •We report a novel APOB nonsense variant and present a short review about this entity.
- •We propose a support algorithm for the clinical diagnosis of this syndrome.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- APOB-related familial hypobetalipoproteinemia.in: Adam MP Ardinger HH Pagon RA GeneReviews® [Internet]. University of Washington, Seattle, SeattleWA2021 May 13 (1993-202)
- Update on primary hypobetalipoproteinemia.Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2014; 16
- Phenotypic differences between polygenic and monogenic hypobetalipoproteinemia.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1161/ATVBAHA.120.315491
- Clinical care pathway for the risk stratification and management of patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Gastroenterology. 2021; 161: 1657-1669https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2021.07.049
- Molecular analysis of APOB, SAR1B, ANGPTL3, and MTTP in patients with primary hypocholesterolemia in a clinical laboratory setting: Evidence supporting polygenicity in mutation-negative patients.Atherosclerosis. 2019; 283: 52-60https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2019.01.036
- Standards and guidelines for the interpretation of sequence variants: a joint consensus recommendation of the American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics and the Association for Molecular Pathology.Genet Med. 2015; 17: 405-424https://doi.org/10.1038/gim.2015.30
- Identification of novel APOB mutations by targeted next-generation sequencing for the molecular diagnosis of familial hypobetalipoproteinemia.Atherosclerosis. 2016; 250: 52-56https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2016.04.010
- New classification and management of abetalipoproteinemia and related disorders.Gastroenterology. 2021; 160: 1912-1916https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2020.11.040
- Clinical and biochemical characteristics of individuals with low cholesterol syndromes: A comparison between familial hypobetalipoproteinemia and familial combined hypolipidemia.J Clin Lipidol. 2017; 11: 1234-1242https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacl.2017.06.013
- Hypobetalipoproteinemia and abetalipoproteinemia.Curr Opin Lipidol. 2014; 25: 161-168https://doi.org/10.1097/MOL.0000000000000072
- An underrecognized cause of lean NASH.Hepatology. 2021; 74: 2897-2898https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.31988
- A novel APOB mutation identified by exome sequencing cosegregates with steatosis, liver cancer, and hypocholesterolemia.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2013; 33: 2021-2025https://doi.org/10.1161/ATVBAHA.112.301101
- Identification of a variant in APOB gene as a major cause of hypobetalipoproteinemia in Lebanese families.Metabolites. 2021; 11: 564https://doi.org/10.3390/metabo11090564
- Liver fibrosis, but no other histologic features, is associated with long-term outcomes of patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Gastroenterology. 2015; 149 (e10): 389-397https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2015.04.043
- Association between familial hypobetalipoproteinemia and the risk of diabetes. Is this the other side of the cholesterol–diabetes connection? A systematic review of literature.Acta Diabetol. 2016; 54: 111-122https://doi.org/10.1007/s00592-016-0931-4
- A rare mutation in The APOB gene associated with neurological manifestations in familial hypobetalipoproteinemia.Int J Mol Sci. 2020; 21: 1439https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms2104