- •We modeled population genomic FH screening for cost-effectiveness.
- •Population FH genomic screening is not cost-effective at current willingness-to-pay.
- •Population genomic FH screening improves overall population health.
- •Lower genomic costs and/or multiplex screening are needed to be cost-effective.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Diagnostic yield and clinical utility of sequencing familial hypercholesterolemia genes in patients with severe hypercholesterolemia.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 67: 2578-2589
- Mutations causative of familial hypercholesterolaemia: screening of 98 098 individuals from the Copenhagen General Population Study estimated a prevalence of 1 in 217.Eur Heart J. 2016; 37: 1384-1394
- Homozygous autosomal dominant hypercholesterolaemia in the Netherlands: prevalence, genotype–phenotype relationship, and clinical outcome.Eur Heart J. 2015; 36: 560-565
- The genetics and screening of familial hypercholesterolaemia.J Biomed Sci. 2016; 23: 1-12
- Clinical genetic testing for familial hypercholesterolemia: JACC scientific expert panel.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 72: 662-680
- Familial hypercholesterolemia: screening, diagnosis and management of pediatric and adult patients: clinical guidance from the National Lipid Association Expert Panel on Familial Hypercholesterolemia.J Clin Lipidol. 2011; 5: 133-140
- Association of monogenic vs polygenic hypercholesterolemia with risk of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease.JAMA Cardiol. 2020; 5: 390-399
- Diagnostic yield of sequencing familial hypercholesterolemia genes in individuals with primary hypercholesterolemia.Revista Española de Cardiología (English Edition). 2021; 74: 664-673
Familial hypercholesterolemia - Genetics Home Reference - NIH. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/familial-hypercholesterolemia
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia is underdiagnosed and undertreated in the general population: guidance for clinicians to prevent coronary heart disease: consensus statement of the European Atherosclerosis Society.Eur Heart J. 2013; 34: 3478-3490
- Extent of underdiagnosis of familial hypercholesterolaemia in routine practice: prospective registry study.BMJ. 2000; 321: 148
- Evaluation of cholesterol lowering treatment of patients with familial hypercholesterolemia: a large cross-sectional study in The Netherlands.Atherosclerosis. 2010; 209: 189-194
- Genetic identification of familial hypercholesterolemia within a single US health care system.Science. 2016; 354
- Tier 1 Genomics Applications and their Importance to Public Health. 2014; (PublishedAccessed 8/1/2021)
- Treatment gaps in adults with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia in the United States: data from the CASCADE-FH registry.Circulation. 2016; 9: 240-249
- Reducing the clinical and public health burden of familial hypercholesterolemia: a global call to action.JAMA Cardiol. 2020; 5: 217-229
- Probabilistic cost-effectiveness analysis of cascade screening for familial hypercholesterolaemia using alternative diagnostic and identification strategies.Heart. 2011; 97: 1175-1181
- Cascade screening based on genetic testing is cost-effective: evidence for the implementation of models of care for familial hypercholesterolemia.J Clin Lipidol. 2014; 8: 390-400
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of alternative screening and treatment strategies for heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia in the United States.Int J Cardiol. 2015; 181: 417-424
- The cost-effectiveness of screening strategies for familial hypercholesterolaemia in Poland.Atherosclerosis. 2018; 270: 132-138
- Hypercholesterolemia IPoMoF. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia.Atherosclerosis. 2004; 173: 55-68
- Cost-effectiveness in health and medicine.Oxford University Press, 2016
- General cardiovascular risk profile for use in primary care: the Framingham Heart Study.Circulation. 2008; 117: 743-753
- Heart disease and stroke statistics—2020 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2020; 141: e139-e596
- Cardiovascular risk in post-myocardial infarction patients: nationwide real world data demonstrate the importance of a long-term perspective.Eur Heart J. 2015; 36: 1163-1170
- 20-year follow-up of statins in children with familial hypercholesterolemia.N Engl J Med. 2019;
Bogsrud M.P., Græsdal A., Johansen D., et al. LDL-cholesterol goal achievement, cardiovascular disease, and attributed risk of Lpain a large cohort of predominantly genetically verified familial hypercholesterolemia. J Clin Lipidol2019;13(2):279-286.
- Heart disease and stroke statistics—2021 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2021; 143: e254-e743
- Strategies for primary prevention of coronary heart disease based on risk stratification by the ACC/AHA Lipid Guidelines, ATP III Guidelines, Coronary Calcium Scoring, and C-Reactive Protein, and a Global Treat-All Strategy: a comparative–effectiveness modeling study.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0138092
- Cost-effectiveness of LDL-C lowering with evolocumab in patients with high cardiovascular risk in the United States.Clin Cardiol. 2016; 39: 313-320
- Long-term cost-effectiveness of statin treatment for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in the elderly.Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2015; 29: 187-197
CPI inflation calculator. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm.
Color Genomics Inc. https://home.color.com/purchase/ordering-physician?sku=combo%203. Accessed 8/1/2021.
- Cost-effectiveness of 10-year risk thresholds for initiation of statin therapy for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease.JAMA. 2015; 314: 142-150
- Cost estimation of cardiovascular disease events in the US.Pharmacoeconomics. 2011; 29: 693-704
Quick Facts - United States. United States Census Bureau. (n.d.). https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/US/LFE046219.
- Characteristics and trends of PCSK9 inhibitor prescription fills in the United States.J Clin Lipidol. 2021; 15: 332-338
Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. FDA approves drug for rare forms of high cholesterol. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/drugs/news-events-human-drugs/fda-approves-add-drug-ages-10-rare-forms-high-cholesterol.
- Proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 9 inhibitor utilization and low-density lipoprotein-cholesterol control in familial hypercholesterolemia.J Clin Lipidol. 2021; 15: 339-346
- PCSK9 inhibitors: clinical evidence and implementation.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2019; 16: 155-165
- PCSK9 inhibitor use in the real world: data from the National Patient-Centered Research Network.J Am Heart Assoc. 2019; 8e011246
- Managed care pharmacist updates for proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 9 (PCSK9) inhibitors.Am J Manag Care. 2021; 27 (Suppl): S76-S82
AHA. (n.d.). Cardiovascular disease: A costly burden for America projections through 2035. American Heart Association CVD Burden Report. Retrieved from https://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@adv/documents/downloadable/ucm_491543.pdf.
- Population genomic screening of all young adults in Australia to detect familial hypercholesterolemia: a cost-effectiveness analysis.Eur Heart J. 2021; 42 (2727): ehab724
- Cost-effectiveness of Population-Wide Genomic Screening for Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer in the United States.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3 (-e2022874)e2022874