- •Complement proteins C3 and C4 rise around the menopause transition (MT).
- •Changes in HDL over the MT may modulate inflammation.
- •Therapies impacting HDL may also impact immune response.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cholesterol, inflammation and innate immunity.Nat Rev Immunol. 2015 Feb; 15: 104-116https://doi.org/10.1038/nri3793
- Proteomic diversity of high density lipoproteins: our emerging understanding of its importance in lipid transport and beyond.J Lipid Res. 2013 Oct; 54: 2575-2585https://doi.org/10.1194/jlr.R035725
- The effects of type 2 diabetes on lipoprotein composition and arterial stiffness in male youth.Diabetes. 2013 Aug; 62: 2958-2967https://doi.org/10.2337/db12-1753
- Proteomic profiling following immunoaffinity capture of high-density lipoprotein: association of acute-phase proteins and complement factors with proinflammatory high-density lipoprotein in rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 2012 Jun; 64: 1828-1837https://doi.org/10.1002/art.34363
- HDL proteome remodeling associates with COVID-19 severity.J Clin Lipidol. 2021 Nov-Dec; 15: 796-804https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacl.2021.10.005
- Shotgun proteomics implicates protease inhibition and complement activation in the antiinflammatory properties of HDL.J Clin Investig. 2007; 117: 746-756https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI26206
- Complement in atherosclerosis: friend or foe?.J Thromb Haemost. 2011; 9: 428-440https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1538-7836.2010.04172.x
- American Heart Association Prevention Science Committee of the Council on Epidemiology and Prevention; and Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing. Menopause Transition and Cardiovascular Disease Risk: Implications for Timing of Early Prevention: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2020 Dec 22; 142: e506-e532https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000912
- HDL (High-Density Lipoprotein) Subclasses, Lipid Content, and Function Trajectories Across the Menopause Transition: SWAN-HDL Study.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2021 Feb; 41: 951-961https://doi.org/10.1161/ATVBAHA.120.315355
- Menopause, complement, and hemostatic markers in women at midlife: the Study of Women's Health Across the Nation.Atherosclerosis. 2013 Nov; 231: 54-58https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2013.08.039
- SWAN: A multicenter, multiethnic, community-based cohort study of women and the menopausal transition.Menopause: Biology and Pathology. Academic Press, New York, NY2000: 175-180
- Lipoprotein particle analysis by nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy.Clin Lab Med. 2006 Dec; 26: 847-870https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cll.2006.07.006
- Estimation of the concentration of low density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma.Clin Chem. 1972; 18: 499-501
- A comprehensive evaluation of the heparin-manganese precipitation procedure for estimating high density lipoprotein cholesterol.J Lipid Res. 1978; 19: 65-76
- Standardization of micro-methods for plasma cholesterol, triglyceride and HDL-cholesterol with the Lipid Research Clinics’ methodology.J Clin Chem Clin Biochem. 1981; 19: 850
- Evaluation of the kaiser physical activity survey in women.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2000 Jul; 32: 1327-1338https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-200007000-00022
- The complement system is dysfunctional in metabolic disease: Evidences in plasma and adipose tissue from obese and insulin resistant subjects.Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2019 Jan; 85: 164-172https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semcdb.2017.10.025
- Complement C3 and cleavage products in cardiometabolic risk.Clin Chim Acta. 2011 Jun 11; 412: 1171-1179https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cca.2011.03.005
- Cross-sectional study of complement C3 as a coronary risk factor among men and women.Clin Sci (Lond). 2005 Feb; 108: 129-135https://doi.org/10.1042/CS20040198
- C3 and C4 are strongly related to adipose tissue variables and cardiovascular risk factors.Eur J Clin Invest. 2014 Jun; 44: 587-596https://doi.org/10.1111/eci.12275
- C3 and alternative pathway components are associated with an adverse lipoprotein subclass profile: The CODAM study.J Clin Lipidol. 2021 Mar-Apr; 15: 311-319https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacl.2021.01.011
- Mice lacking acylation stimulating protein (ASP) have delayed postprandial triglyceride clearance.J Lipid Res. 1999 Sep; 40: 1671-1676
- The role of complement factor C3 in lipid metabolism.Mol Immunol. 2015 Sep; 67: 101-107https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molimm.2015.02.027
- New roles of HDL in inflammation and hematopoiesis.Annu Rev Nutr. 2012 Aug 21; 32: 161-182https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-nutr-071811-150709
- Hemodynamic changes induced by liposomes and liposome-encapsulated hemoglobin in pigs: a model for pseudoallergic cardiopulmonary reactions to liposomes. Role of complement and inhibition by soluble CR1 and anti-C5a antibody.Circulation. 1999 May 4; 99: 2302-2309https://doi.org/10.1161/01.cir.99.17.2302
- Activation of the human complement system by cholesterol-rich and PEGylated liposomes-modulation of cholesterol-rich liposome-mediated complement activation by elevated serum LDL and HDL levels.J Liposome Res. 2006; 16: 167-174https://doi.org/10.1080/08982100600848801
- High-density lipoprotein mediates anti-inflammatory reprogramming of macrophages via the transcriptional regulator ATF3.Nat Immunol. 2014 Feb; 15: 152-160https://doi.org/10.1038/ni.2784
- Changes in High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol and Complement C3 are Strongly Inversely Correlated in the Setting of Niacin Therapy in Humans.Circulation. 2007; 116 (II_15)
- Reconstituted High-Density Lipoprotein Attenuates Cholesterol Crystal-Induced Inflammatory Responses by Reducing Complement Activation.J Immunol. 2015 Jul 1; 195: 257-264https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.1403044
- Increased level of the complement C3 protein in endogenous hypertriglyceridemia.J Clin Lab Immunol. 1982 Jun; 8 (PMID: 7108936): 101-105
- The third component of the complement (C3) is a marker of the risk of atherogenesis.Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. 2006 Aug; 13 (PMID: 16874160): 658-660https://doi.org/10.1097/01.hjr.0000224485.80349.76
- Complement receptors and regulatory proteins in human atherosclerotic lesions.Arteriosclerosis. 1989 Nov-Dec; 9 (PMID: 2480105): 802-811https://doi.org/10.1161/01.atv.9.6.802