- •Black subjects are under-reported in lipid-lowering ASCVD outcomes trials.
- •Black subjects are under-represented in lipid-lowering ASCVD outcomes trials.
- •Inclusion of Black persons will help to address disparities in preventive care.
Abbreviations:RCTs (Randomized controlled trials), NH (Non-Hispanic), LDL-C (Low density lipoprotein-cholesterol), PPR (Participation-to-prevalence ratio), ASCVD (Atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease), ACS (Acute Coronary Syndrome)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Recruitment of black adults into cardiovascular disease trials.J Am Heart Assoc. 2021; 10e021108
- Examining how race, ethnicity, and ancestry data are used in biomedical research.JAMA. 2018; 320: 1533-1534
- JAMA. 2018; 320: 1539-1540
- The reporting of race and ethnicity in medical and science journals: comments invited.JAMA. 2021; 325: 1049-1052
- The morphology of atrioventricular septal defects: a clue to controversies concerning development.J Perinat Med. 1991; 19: 207-214
- Comparison of efficacy and safety of rosuvastatin versus atorvastatin in African-American patients in a six-week trial.Am J Cardiol. 2006; 97: 229-235
- Association of Patient Perceptions of Cardiovascular Risk and Beliefs on Statin Drugs With Racial Differences in Statin Use: Insights From the Patient and Provider Assessment of Lipid Management Registry.JAMA Cardiol. 2018; 3: 739-748
- Under-reporting and under-representation of racial/ethnic minorities in major atrial fibrillation clinical trials.JACC. 2020; 6: 739-741
- AHA/ACC/AACVPR/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/ADA/AGS/APhA/ASPC/NLA/PCNA Guideline on the management of blood cholesterol: a report of the american college of cardiology/American heart association task force on clinical practice guidelines.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 73 (2019): e285-e350
Collection of Race and Ethnicity Data in Clinical Trials. https://www.fda.gov/media/75453/download. Published 2016. Accessed 12th June, 2022.
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.BMJ. 2009; 339: b2535
- A Bayesian network meta-analysis of PCSK9 inhibitors, statins and ezetimibe with or without statins for cardiovascular outcomes.Eur J Preventive Cardiol. 2020; 25: 844-853
- Association between baseline LDL-C level and total and cardiovascular mortality after LDL-C lowering: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2018; 319: 1566-1579
- Effects of high-density lipoprotein targeting treatments on cardiovascular outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur J Preventive Cardiol. 2020; 26: 533-543
- Association between lowering ldl-c and cardiovascular risk reduction among different therapeutic interventions: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2016; 316: 1289-1297
- Participation of women and older participants in randomized clinical trials of lipid-lowering therapies: a systematic review.JAMA Network Open. 2020; 3e205202
- Drugs for primary prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease: an overview of systematic reviews.JAMA Cardiology. 2016; 1: 341-349
- Enrollment of older patients, women, and racial and ethnic minorities in contemporary heart failure clinical trials: a systematic review.JAMA Cardiology. 2018; 3: 1011-1019
- Striving for diversity in research studies.N Engl J Med. 2021; 385: 1429-1430
- Equity and the JAMA Network.JAMA. 2021; 326: 618-620
- Diversity and inclusion: central to ACC's mission, vision, and values.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020; 76: 1494-1497
- Demographics of clinical trials participants in pivotal clinical trials for new molecular entity drugs and biologics approved by FDA from 2010 to 2012.Am J Ther. 2015; 22: 435-455
- Participation of women and sex analyses in late-phase clinical trials of new molecular entity drugs and biologics approved by the FDA in 2007-2009.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2013; 22: 604-616
- Participation of women in clinical trials supporting FDA approval of cardiovascular drugs.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 71: 1960-1969
- Heart disease and stroke statistics-2022 update: a report from the american heart association.Circulation. 2022; 145: e153-e639
Race and Ethnicity in the United States: 2010 Census and 2020 Census. https://www.census.gov/library/visualizations/interactive/race-and-ethnicity-in-the-united-state-2010-and-2020-census.html. Published 2021. Accessed 12/18, 2021.
- Effectiveness of ezetimibe added to ongoing statin therapy in modifying lipid profiles and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol goal attainment in patients of different races and ethnicities: a substudy of the Ezetimibe add-on to statin for effectiveness trial.Mayo Clin Proc. 2006; 81: 1177-1185
- Alirocumab efficacy and safety by race and ethnicity: Analysis from 3 ODYSSEY phase 3 trials.J Clin Lipidol. 2019; 13 (e585): 586-593
- Effects of evolocumab on low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, non-high density lipoprotein cholesterol, apolipoprotein B, and Lipoprotein(a) by race and ethnicity: a meta-analysis of individual participant data from double-blind and open-label extension studies.J Am Heart Assoc. 2021; 10e016839
- REDUCE-IT USA: results from the 3146 patients randomized in the United States.Circulation. 2020; 141: 367-375
- Diverse racial/ethnic group underreporting and underrepresentation in high-impact cholesterol treatment trials.Circulation. 2021; 143: 2409-2411
- Representativeness of black patients in cancer clinical trials sponsored by the national cancer institute compared with pharmaceutical companies.JNCI Cancer Spectr. 2020; 4: pkaa034
- Normative health research experiences among African American elders.J Aging Health. 2004; 16: 78S-92S
- Integrating research into community practice - toward increased diversity in clinical trials.N Engl J Med. 2021; 385: 1351-1353
- Increasing diversity in clinical trials: overcoming critical barriers.Curr Probl Cardiol. 2019; 44: 148-172
The authors confirm no relationship with industry, disclosures, or source of funding for the work presented in this manuscript.
Conflict of interest: None.