- •Managing high TG levels in familial partial lipodystrophy (FPLD) is challenging.
- •The antisense oligonucleotide volanesorsen can reduce apolipoprotein C-III and TG.
- •In BROADEN, volanesorsen decreased TG and maintained reduced levels in FPLD.
- •Volanesorsen reduced hepatic fat fraction, suggesting hepatosteatosis improvement.
- •Volanesorsen was well tolerated, with a manageable safety profile in FPLD.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Acquired and inherited lipodystrophies.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 1220-1234
- Familial partial lipodystrophy (FPLD): recent insights.Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2020; 13: 1531-1544
Familial Partial Lipodystrophy. National Organization for Rare Disorders; 2015. Available at https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/familial-partial-lipodystrophy/#:∼:text=Familial Accessed June 22, 2022.
- Clinical and molecular prevalence of lipodystrophy in an unascertained large clinical care cohort.Diabetes. 2020; 69: 249-258
- Whole-exome sequencing identifies ADRA2A mutation in atypical familial partial lipodystrophy.JCI Insight. 2016; 1
- Gene-gene and gene-environment interactions in lipodystrophy: lessons learned from natural PPARγ mutants.Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Biol Lipids. 2019; 1864: 715-732
- Heterogeneity of nuclear lamin A mutations in Dunnigan-type familial partial lipodystrophy.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000; 85: 3431-3435
- The clinical approach to the detection of lipodystrophy—an AACE consensus statement.Endocr Pract. 2013; 19: 107-116
- Hypertriglyceridemia-related pancreatitis In patients with type 2 diabetes: links and risks.Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2019; 12: 2041-2052
- Lipodystrophies.Am J Med. 2000; 108: 143-152
- N-Acetyl galactosamine-conjugated antisense drug to APOC3 mRNA, triglycerides and atherogenic lipoprotein levels.Eur Heart J. 2019; 40: 2785-2796
- Apolipoprotein C-III: understanding an emerging cardiovascular risk factor.Clin Sci (Lond). 2008; 114: 611-624
- Plasma apolipoprotein C-III transport in centrally obese men: associations with very low-density lipoprotein apolipoprotein B and high-density lipoprotein apolipoprotein A-I metabolism.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008; 93: 557-564
- Apolipoprotein C-III: a potent modulator of hypertriglyceridemia and cardiovascular disease.Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2015; 22: 119-125
- Targeting APOC3 in the familial chylomicronemia syndrome.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 2200-2206
- ApoC-III inhibits clearance of triglyceride-rich lipoproteins through LDL family receptors.J Clin Invest. 2016; 126: 2855-2866
- Apolipoprotein C-III and hepatic triglyceride-rich lipoprotein production.Curr Opin Lipidol. 2012; 23: 206-212
The BROADEN Study: A Study of Volanesorsen (Formerly ISIS-APOCIIIRx) in Participants With Familial Partial Lipodystrophy. ClinicalTrials.gov; 2020. NCT02527343 Available at https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02527343. Accessed June 22, 2022.
- Accuracy of MR imaging-estimated proton density fat fraction for classification of dichotomized histologic steatosis grades in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Radiology. 2015; 274: 416-425
- The diagnosis and management of lipodystrophy syndromes: a multi-society practice guideline.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016; 101: 4500-4511
- Characterising Familial Partial Lipodystrophy: Baseline Data of the BROADEN Study [poster].Annual European Congress of Endocrinology, 2020
- Volanesorsen and triglyceride levels in familial chylomicronemia syndrome.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 531-542
- Apolipoprotein C-III: from pathophysiology to pharmacology.Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2015; 36: 675-687
- Apolipoprotein CIII and angiopoietin-like protein 8 are elevated in lipodystrophy and decrease after metreleptin.J Endocr Soc. 2021; 5: bvaa191
- Efficacy and safety of volanesorsen in patients with multifactorial chylomicronaemia (COMPASS): a multicentre, double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2021; 9: 264-275
- Characterizing familial chylomicronemia syndrome: baseline data of the APPROACH study.J Clin Lipidol. 2018; 12: 1234-1243.e1235
- Prevalence of severe hypertriglyceridemia and pancreatitis in familial partial lipodystrophy type 2.J Clin Lipidol. 2021; 15: 653-657
- Come back skinfolds, all is forgiven: a narrative review of the efficacy of common body composition methods in applied sports practice.Nutrients. 2021; 13: 1075
- Apolipoprotein C-III reduction in subjects with moderate hypertriglyceridaemia and at high cardiovascular risk.Eur Heart J. 2022; 43: 1401-1412