- •Statin use was suboptimal (<50%) by the 2013 or 2018 cholesterol guidelines (CG).
- •Proportion of adults recommended statins was lower (2013 CG: 33.6%; 2018 CG: 19.9%).
- •An additional 21.6% of adults were considered for statin use according to 2018 CG.
- •Only 47.0% of persons aged 40-75 years with diabetes reported statin use.
- •<10% of persons with hypercholesterolemia reported statin use.
Abbreviations:ASCVD (atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease), LDL-c (low density lipoprotein cholesterol), HDL-c (high density lipoprotein cholesterol), CHD (coronary heart disease), NHANES (National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey), USPSTF (U.S. Preventive Services Task Force), NCHS (National Center for Health Statistics), NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence), CCS (Canadian Cardiovascular Society), ESC/EAS (European Society of Cardiology/European Atherosclerosis Society)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The Leading Causes of Death in the US for 2020.JAMA: J Am Med Assoc. 2021; 325: 1829-1830
- The HALT polycystic kidney disease trials: design and implementation.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010; 5: 102-109
- Hypertension and dyslipidaemia in obesity and insulin resistance: pathophysiology, impact on atherosclerotic disease and pharmacotherapy.Pharmacol Therapeut. 2008; 117: 354-373
- ESC/EAS Guidelines for the management of dyslipidaemias: The Task Force for the management of dyslipidaemias of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Atherosclerosis Society (EAS).Eur Heart J. 2011; 32: 1769-1818
- Mechanisms of plaque formation and rupture.Circu Res. 2014; 114: 1852-1866
- 2013 ACC/AHA guideline on the treatment of blood cholesterol to reduce atherosclerotic cardiovascular risk in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 63: 2889-2934
- 2018 AHA/ACC/AACVPR/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/ADA/AGS/APhA/ASPC/NLA/PCNA guideline on the management of blood cholesterol: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association task force on clinical practice guidelines.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018;
- National Center for Health Statistics. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: sample design, 2011–2014.Vital Health Statist Ser 10. 2014; 2 (Data from the National Health Survey)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: Analytic Guidelines, 2011-2014 and 2015-2016. 2018.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. NHANES Laboratory Data. In: National Center for Health Statistics, editor National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. NHANES Response Rates and Population Totals. In: National Center for Health Statistics, editor.
Parker JD, Talih M, Malec DJ et al. National Center for Health Statistics Data Presentation Standards for Proportions. Vital and health statistics Series 2, Data evaluation and methods research 2017:1-22.
- Vital Signs: Prevalence of Key Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors for Million Hearts 2022 - United States, 2011-2016.MMWR Morb Mortal Week Rep. 2018; 67: 983-991
- Patient-reported reasons for declining or discontinuing statin therapy: insights from the PALM registry.J Am Heart Assoc. 2019; 8e011765
- Gaps and disparities in primary prevention statin prescription during outpatient care.Am J Cardiol. 2021; 161: 36-41
- Statin use in the U.S. for secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease remains suboptimal.J Am Board of Fam Med: JABFM. 2019; 32: 807-817
- National trends in statin use and expenditures in the US adult population from 2002 to 2013: insights from the medical expenditure panel survey.JAMA Cardiol. 2017; 2: 56-65
- Hyperlipidemia in early adulthood increases long-term risk of coronary heart disease.Circulation. 2015; 131: 451-458
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia is underdiagnosed and undertreated in the general population: guidance for clinicians to prevent coronary heart disease: consensus statement of the European Atherosclerosis Society.Eur Heart J. 2013; 34 (a): 3478-3490
- Use of risk assessment tools to guide decision-making in the primary prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease: a special report from the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019; 73: 3153-3167
- Adoption of the 2013 American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association cholesterol management guideline in cardiology practices nationwide.JAMA Cardiol. 2017; 2: 361-369
- Initiation patterns of statins in the 2 years after release of the 2013 American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association (ACC/AHA) cholesterol management guideline in a large US Health Plan.J Am Heart Assoc. 2017; 6
- Trends in U.S. ambulatory cardiovascular care 2013 to 2017: JACC review topic of the week.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020; 75: 93-112
- Trends in lipid, lipoproteins, and statin use among U.S. adults: impact of 2013 cholesterol guidelines.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019; 74: 2525-2528
- Clinician-patient risk discussion for atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease prevention: importance to implementation of the 2013 ACC/AHA Guidelines.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015; 65: 1361-1368
- Racial differences in heart age and impact on mortality.J Natl Med Assoc. 2018; 110: 169-175
- Progress toward improved cardiovascular health in the United States.Circulation. 2019; 139: 1957-1973
Carroll MD, Kruszon-Moran D, Tolliver E. Trends in Apolipoprotein B, non-high density lipoprotein cholesterol, and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol for adults aged 20 and over, 2005-2016. National Health Statistics Reports. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics, 2019.
- Statin use in primary prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease according to 5 major guidelines for sensitivity, specificity, and number needed to treat.JAMA Cardiol. 2019;
- Comparison of five major guidelines for statin use in primary prevention in a contemporary general population.Ann Intern Med. 2018; 168: 85-92
National Clinical Guideline Centre. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) clinical guideline CG181: lipid modification, cardiovascular risk assessment and the modification of blood lipids for the primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease., 2014.
- 2016 Canadian Cardiovascular Society guidelines for the management of dyslipidemia for the prevention of cardiovascular disease in the adult.Can J Cardiol. 2016; 32: 1263-1282
- 2016 ESC/EAS Guidelines for the management of dyslipidaemias.Eur Heart J. 2016; 37: 2999-3058
- Statin use for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in adults: US preventive services task force recommendation StatementStatin use for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in AdultsStatin use for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in adults.JAMA: J Am Med Assoc. 2016; 316: 1997-2007
- 2019 ESC/EAS Guidelines for the management of dyslipidaemias: lipid modification to reduce cardiovascular risk.Eur Heart J. 2020; 41: 4255