- •Triglyceride-rich lipoproteins (TRLs) were independently associated with GlycA.
- •Medium and large TRLs were the main TRL subclasses related to GlycA.
- •Medium, large, and very large TRLs were associated with circulating leukocytes.
- •TRLs were more strongly related to neutrophils and lymphocytes than monocytes.
- •The total number of TRLs was not associated with C-reactive protein.
Abbreviations:ASCVD (Atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease), BMI (Body mass index), CAC (Coronary artery calcification), ELSA-Brasil (Brazilian Longitudinal Study of Adult Health), HDL (High-density lipoprotein), hs-CRP (High-sensitivity C-reactive protein), LDL (Low-density lipoprotein), NMR (Nuclear magnetic resonance), TRL (Triglyceride-rich lipoprotein)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Lipidology
- Triglyceride-rich lipoproteins and their remnants: metabolic insights, role in atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, and emerging therapeutic strategies-a consensus statement from the European Atherosclerosis Society.Eur Heart J. 2021; 42: 4791-4806
- Triglycerides and triglyceride-rich lipoproteins in the development and progression of atherosclerosis.Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2019; 26: 109-116
- Elevated remnant cholesterol causes both low-grade inflammation and ischemic heart disease, whereas elevated low-density lipoprotein cholesterol causes ischemic heart disease without inflammation.Circulation. 2013; 128: 1298-1309
- Inflammation associated with the postprandial lipolysis of triglyceride-rich lipoproteins by lipoprotein lipase.Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2009; 11: 199-205
- Lipolysis of triglyceride-rich lipoproteins, vascular inflammation, and atherosclerosis.Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012; 1821: 858-866
- Apolipoprotein C3 induces inflammation and organ damage by alternative inflammasome activation.Nat Immunol. 2020; 21: 30-41
- Leukocyte activation by triglyceride-rich lipoproteins.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2008; 28: 792-797
- The interplay of obesity, dyslipidemia and immune dysfunction: a brief overview on pathophysiology, animal models, and nutritional modulation.Front Nutr. 2022; 9840209
- Inflammatory links between hypertriglyceridemia and atherogenesis.Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2022; 24: 297-306
- The interplay of lipids, lipoproteins, and immunity in atherosclerosis.Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2018; 20: 12
- GlycA: a composite nuclear magnetic resonance biomarker of systemic inflammation.Clin Chem. 2015; 61: 714-723
- GlycA: a new biomarker for systemic inflammation and cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk assessment.J Lab Precis Med. 2020; 5: 17
- Brazilian longitudinal study of adult health (ELSA-Brasil): objectives and design.Am J Epidemiol. 2012; 175: 315-324
- Cohort profile: longitudinal study of adult health (ELSA-Brasil).Int J Epidemiol. 2015; 44: 68-75
- Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge.Clin. Chem. 1972; 18: 499-502
- Lipoprotein particle analysis by nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy.Clin Lab Med. 2006; 26: 847-870
- Quantification of lipoprotein profiles by nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and multivariate data analysis.TrAC. 2017; 94: 210-219
- Clinical relevance of nuclear magnetic resonance LipoProfile.Front Nucl Med. 2022;
- WHO Guidelines on Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviour.World Health Organization, Geneva2020
- Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man.Diabetologia. 1985; 28: 412-419
The jamovi project (2021). jamovi (Version 2.2) [Computer Software]. Retrieved from https://www.jamovi.org.
- Visualizations with statistical details: the 'ggstatsplot' approach.J. Open Source Softw. 2021; 6: 3167
- High-sensitivity C-reactive protein to detect metabolic syndrome in a centrally obese population: a cross-sectional analysis.Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2012; 11: 25
- Increased particle size of triacylglycerol-enriched remnant lipoproteins, but not their plasma concentration or lipid content, augments risk prediction of incident type 2 diabetes.Diabetologia. 2021; 64: 385-396
- GlycA, a novel marker of inflammation, is elevated in systemic lupus erythematosus.Lupus. 2016; 25: 296-300
- Glycoprotein profile measured by a 1 H-nuclear magnetic resonance based on approach in patients with diabetes: a new robust method to assess inflammation.Life. 2021; 11: 1407
- Serum glycoproteins A and B assessed by 1 H-NMR in familial hypercholesterolemia.Atherosclerosis. 2021; 330: 1-7
- Triglyceride-rich lipoproteins and glycoprotein A and B assessed by 1H-NMR in metabolic-associated fatty liver disease.Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2021; 12775677
- Comparison of the predictive value of GlycA and other biomarkers of inflammation for total death, incident cardiovascular events, noncardiovascular and noncancer inflammatory-related events, and total cancer events.Clin Chem. 2016; 62: 1020-1031
- GlycA, a novel pro-inflammatory glycoprotein biomarker is associated with mortality: results from the PREVEND study and meta-analysis.J Intern Med. 2019; 286: 596-609
- Circulating N-linked glycoprotein side-chain biomarker, rosuvastatin therapy, and incident cardiovascular disease: an analysis from the JUPITER trial.J Am Heart Assoc. 2016; 5e003822
- Relations of GlycA and lipoprotein particle subspecies with cardiovascular events and mortality: a post hoc analysis of the AIM-HIGH trial.J Clin Lipidol. 2018; 12 (e2): 348-355
- Decreased GlycA after lifestyle intervention among obese, prediabetic adolescent Latinos.J Clin Lipidol. 2019; 13: 186-193
- Colchicine's effects on lipoprotein particle concentrations in adults with metabolic syndrome: a secondary analysis of a randomized controlled trial.J Clin Lipidol. 2019; 13 (e2): 1016-1022
- Associations of GlycA and high-sensitivity C-reactive protein with measures of lipolysis in adults with obesity.J Clin Lipidol. 2020; 14: 667-674
- The biomarker GlycA is associated with chronic inflammation and predicts long-term risk of severe infection.Cell Syst. 2015; 1: 293-301
- Remnant lipoprotein cholesterol and incident coronary heart disease: the Jackson heart and framingham offspring cohort studies.J Am Heart Assoc. 2016; 5e002765
- Relation of fasting triglyceride-rich lipoprotein cholesterol to coronary artery calcium score (from the ELSA-Brasil Study).Am J Cardiol. 2017; 119: 1352-1358
- Predictors of coronary artery calcium incidence and progression: the Brazilian Longitudinal Study of Adult Health (ELSA-Brasil).Atherosclerosis. 2020; 309: 8-15
- Composite acute phase glycoproteins with coronary artery calcification depends on metabolic syndrome presence - the Brazilian Longitudinal Study of Adult Health (ELSA-Brasil).J Cardiol. 2019; 73: 408-415
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflict of interest: R.D.S. has received honoraria related to consulting, research, and/or speaker activities from Abbott, Ache, Amgen, Amryt, AstraZeneca, Biolab, Esperion, Getz Pharma, Kowa, Libbs, Novo Nordisk, Novartis, Merck, Pfizer, PTC Therapeutics, and Sanofi. M.S.B. has received honoraria related to consulting or speaker fees from Elucid, Cleerly, Novartis, Novo Nordisk, and Bayer. Other authors report no conflict of interest with this work.
Funding: This work was supported by the following Brazilian institutions: Ministry of Health, Department of Science and Technology (DECIT); Ministry of Science, Technology, and Innovation, Funding Authority for Studies and Projects (Portuguese: Financiadora de Estudos e Projetos [Finep]); and the National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (Portuguese: Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico [CNPq]), under the processes 01 06 0010.00 RS, 01 06 0212.00 BA, 01 060300.00 ES, 01 06 0278.00 MG, 01 06 0115.00 SP, and 01 06 0071.00 RJ.
RDS receives a research scholarship from the National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (Portuguese: Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico [CNPq]), Brazil, #303734/2018-3.